Starting date negotiable
Thomas More College is a leading independent, Christian based, co-educational day school with classes running from Grade 000-12, and is situated in Kloof. The College owns and maintains a large number of buildings and extensive grounds and gardens. The College requires the services of a suitably experienced individual with the required skills and competencies to fulfil the position of Facilities Manager.
The Estates Department is responsible for the maintenance and development of all school properties including the conservancy, academic blocks, sports, music and drama facilities, and administration areas.
Duties and responsibilities of the Facilities Manager include:
• Provision and management of a preventative and planned maintenance programme;
• Maintenance in the form of daily and special requests,
• Quality- and productivity control of staff and specialised contractors;
• Identifying refurbishment projects and liaise with relevant management to prioritise, plan,
manage and oversee the process including specifications, quotes and compliance schedule;
• Identifying future projects and research/predict costs in line with budgets;
· Pro-actively identifying opportunities to enhance efficiencies and embrace technology;
• Management of all contracts for services rendered to the Estates Department, including SLA’s;
• Management of the plant, machinery and equipment, including the vehicle fleet and
the maintenance and replacement thereof;
• Specification, procurement and contract administration of capital expenditure projects;
• Compliance with and implementation of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and regulations;
• Preparation, management and reporting of the Estates Department budget;
• Issuing of purchase orders and managing of Estate Department spend;
• Reporting to Management, the Estates Committee and the Project Committee;
• Recruitment, induction and training of staff to the Estates Department in co-ordination with HR;
• Day-to-day management of the Estates Department team and the industrial relations
requirements of its staff; and
• Annual appraisal of department employees.
The following professional requirements and experience for the position would be an advantage:
· A formal Built Environment qualification
• A minimum of ten years’ experience in estates for facilities management
• Ability to successfully project manage
• Experience in budgetary and management control
• Knowledge of construction contracts
Skills essential to the position:
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Excellent planning, organising and prioritising skills
• Ability to manage people
• Effective communication skills
• Initiative and self-motivation
• Ability to project manage multiple teams including contractors and consultants
• Ability to speak isiZulu would be an advantage
This summary of duties and responsibilities is a guide to the nature and main duties of the position and is not intended as a wholly comprehensive schedule.
Interested candidates should submit a three-page CV and four contactable references to
Closing date: 31st January 2018
Only suitably qualified and experienced applicants will be considered. Short-listed applicants will be notified telephonically. The College reserves the right not to appoint should a suitable candidate not be found. An application will not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview or appointment and failure to meet the minimum requirements of the advertised post will result in applicants automatically disqualifying themselves from consideration.